The Chamber of Engineers
The Chamber of Engineers in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, is the official representative of engineers in North Rhine-Westphalia (civil engineers, engineers for technical equipment, electrical engineers and others who are engaged in building industry). It was founded in 1994, is a public body and has a total number of more than 10.000 members today. Its supervisory authority is the Ministry for Construction and Transport of the region. The registered office is in Düsseldorf. The legal basis is the ‚Baukammerngesetz‘ (BauKaGNRW).
The main activities of the Chamber of Engineers are
- to maintain contact with governments and to represent the interests of its members
- to protect the profession, especially the professional title ‚Consulting Engineer‘
- to monitor the fulfilment of professional duties such as vocational training
- to assure high quality and safety at the building site through high qualification of its members
- to settle disputes between members or members and non-members
- to manage the register of engineers
- to promote competitions
- to cooperate with other chambers of engineers.
The Chamber is only financed through contributions and fees from its members who mainly work in the field of civil engineering. There are different kinds of members:
- Consulting Engineers
- geodesists/land surveyors
- salaried employees and commercially active engineers
- other competent experts in areas such as preventative fire protection, noise protection, thermal building protection and structural integrity. They are nominated by the Chamber.
If you want to become a member you must either live or work in North Rhine-Westphalia. The membership of Consulting Engineers is compulsory, whereas salaried employees and commercially active engineers can join the Chamber voluntarily. This is connected with a considerable number of advantages. Professional training and further education are indispensable in a fast-developing world. The Engineering Academy West e. V. offers a large variety of seminars from which the members can choose. Every registered member receives the German engineering journal "Deutsches Ingenieurblatt (DIB)", a periodical with a regional supplement from the Chamber. Moreover, the „Versorgungswerk“ assures retirement provision.
Maybe you are looking for an engineer or you would like to apply for a job in an engineer´s office in North Rhine Westphalia.
If you click here you will find our database with the addresses of engineers living or working in North Rhine-Westphalia.
Or do you want to be registered in the list of Consulting Engineers from outside? Then please let us know so that we will be able to give you further details about that.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Tel.: 0211 / 130 67- 0
Fax: 0211 / 130 67 - 150